Since undertaking its first memorial — a window in the Collegiate Church of St. Mary and St. Alkelda in Middleham in 1934 — the parent society has been instrumental in establishing a Ricardian presence at other significant sites, including Bosworth Field, Fotheringhay, and Westminster Abbey. Perhaps the most ambitious of the Society’s memorial undertakings was the commission of a statue of Richard III by James Butler, which is installed in Castle Gardens, Leicester.
In keeping with its aim to foster scholarship, the Society has worked to make important source documents more accessible for study. One of its most significant accomplishments was the transcription and publication, in four volumes, of Harleian MSS 433, the surviving registers for the signet offices of Edward V and Richard III.
The Society has also contributed to public events such as the 1973 Richard III exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery and the 1984 ITV production of a modern-day trial of Richard III & ‘The Search for King Richard III‘ in conjunction with Leicester University.
Since 1980, the Society has had the honor to have as its patron H.R.H. Richard, Duke of Gloucester.